Wednesday 28 January 2009

Style resolutions: Nicole from Little Brown Pen

With only a few days to go until January is over, I'm delighted to have a few more style resolutions still to share, even though we're moving past the New Year and into spring. Is spring in the air where you are? Yesterday it was bright and sunny here and I even saw some snowdrops on a much-needed visit to the countryside.


Today's interview is with Nicole from Little Brown Pen. I'm currently quite jealous of Nicole as she is having a short sojourn in Paris, and is regularly documenting many different eclair encounters... I love her Etsy shop which sells cute PDF templates so you can print your own stationery, like this Valentine's card.

I'm currently sharing Nicole's love of yellow and am inspired to do a little illegal fly-posting by this recent post.

Thanks for taking part, Nicole!

Style resolutions: Nicole from Little Brown Pen

What was your favourite design find achievement of 2008?

I adore Etsy and many of the talented sellers there. I spend hours surfing through treasuries and discovered some things that truly make me happy every time I look at them. The more handmade/handcrafted items I bring into the home, the more I never want to purchase anything from a big box store again. When we packed up everything for our move to Paris, I had no problem parting with my West Elm tables and Crate and Barrel dishes, but spent an inordinate amount of time wrapping and protecting all of my wonderful etsy finds. You can see a few of them here.



What are your style resolutions for 2009?

When we get back to the US in April, my plan is to make good on my resolution to live a zen existence. I am a minimalist by nature, but still seem to acquire things I don't need. Since I am living with about 10% of my possessions here in Paris, I am certain that I can do it. I want our new home to be free from clutter in every manner possible, and will strive to only allow the things we love pass through the front door.

I'm quite inspired by modern design and small space living. I subscribe to the "less is more" approach and find that practicing it is quite freeing.

Which style blogs will you be reading in 2009?

Oh, I am a blog junkie. There are just so many. It's really the combination of reading all of them that inspires me. Suzanne of S.Hoptalk will post something pink, then Ez of Creature Comforts posts something deliciously pink and suddenly I am in the mood for ... pink. I may like a scarf that Traci of Bliss posted as part of her I Heart Monday series and then see a similar scarf in an Etsy treasury. I love to read about each person's finds and inspirations, and I can't go to sleep at night unless I have checked up on all of my favorites.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great style resolutions! I think a lot of us are striving for the less is more approach to living and decluttering our lives.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely interview! I totally concur with minimalist living, and as we speak, I am attempting to purge out all of the items in my home that I don't absolutely love or need.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Love her etsy shop -very cute. And it's never too late to make style resolutions! Mine is; try to alter 'my look' - I hate people saying, "oh that's so you" - it's nice, but I hate having a "genre"!

You Are My Fave said...

I need to work on the "only things I love will get through the front door part." I love Little Brown Pen's etsy shop.

Amy (the b-line) said...

I'm afraid I don't have 1/10th the determination or discipline needed for the minimalist approach. But Nichole has inspired me to at least de-clutter a bit. It is amazing how little one can survive (even thrive) on.

I'm SO thrilled your bracelet made the cut!
Amy

inkWELL Press said...

Love the resolutions - I agree we could all stand to purge a little bit. Nichole has great style and her shop is full of great finds. Great interview!