Thursday 29 January 2009

Style resolutions: Anne from The City Sage

I'm thrilled to round off this week with the lovely Anne from The City Sage. She is one of the friendliest bloggers you'll (n)ever meet, and her blog showcases a perfectly curated mix of fashion, interiors, recipes, beauty products and more besides. I have been loving her Blogger Book Love series, and I don't know how she manages to come up with so many fantastic ideas day after day. I'm so pleased that she hasn't succumbed to design fatigue (I have - more later) but still found the time to give such thoughtful and detailed answers! I love her collection of unframed art below. Anne's home is somewhere I would very much like to visit - I especially love this corner, in fact, it was her renovated lamp which inspired me to paint my coffee table (not yet revealed to an adoring public, because I am slow....and not quite finished.) One of the things I have loved the most about this series is seeing into bloggers' homes.

Thanks Anne for sharing your fabulous finds with us!

Style resolutions: Anne from The City Sage


1. What was your favourite design find/achievement of 2008?

My favourite design find of 2008 is a set of vintage Bertoia side chairs. We were fortunate to have received some money for our August wedding and I wanted to invest in something that we would actually use, but that we would also have for a lifetime. The original plan was to buy them new, but I happened to find some pre-loved Bertoias online and felt really good not only about owning a piece of history but also about consuming more sustainably by shopping vintage. And to me they are so iconic that they will always have a place in my home no matter how my style might evolve over the years.



2. What are your style resolutions for 2009?


My biggest goal this year in terms of home décor is to finish several projects that I've started, and to make the most of things I already have before adding new items to the mix. For example, right now the walls in our apartment are totally bare. I have a terrific collection of photography, antique maps, and vintage fashion prints that I've gathered---but it's all sitting unframed in my closet! I also have chairs that need refinishing, lamps that need rewiring, the list goes on.



But the good news is that answering these questions inspired me to put up the curtains that I dragged across the country when we moved last summer. Finally!


When it comes to fashion, I think I did a great job last year of honing my wardrobe really carefully and only buying things that I knew I'd want to wear for years to come. My biggest fashion purchase in 2008 was a pair of black Chanel ballet flats (I saved for those babies for months!) and I now wear them almost every day. In 2009 I'd like to continue that trend of wisely spending (cash, not credit!) on the classics. At the top of my list for this year? A Burberry trench, followed by the perfect pair of dark, slimming jeans. And if the economy miraculously turns around, a Chanel 2.55 and a pair of perforated Lanvin flats. Hey, a girl can dream!




3. Which style blog(s) will you be reading in 2009?


Phew! This is a tough one. I have about fifty or sixty blogs that I read almost every day, and I'm constantly in awe of the talent out there. Some all-time faves? Even Cleveland for a brilliant, eclectic mix of 'made you think' cultural observations, Cupcakes and Cashmere for inspired 'runway to real world' ideas, and Bloomacious for my celeb style fix. Some that I've discovered more recently and that I encourage everyone to explore: Just Fashion.Art.Design for smashing fashion, Head Over Heels for the best interiors you've not yet seen, and 2 Days in the Rain for a tightly edited taste of everything.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Lynne for inviting me to share my resolutions---and for inspiring me to get those darn curtains up! I'm totally blushing over the very kind things you've said about my blog; you've made my week!

Have a great weekend :)

xo
Anne

Rachel said...

Yay! It's fun to see Anne over here, and I'm loving this series, Lynne.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to see Anne's apartment and here is always wonderful answers! I love her blog, and she is so nice, you're right.

I really enjoy this series as well.

Miss Jo said...

great idea! i love getting to know the bloggers who are responsible for my late nights, and procrastinations :)

Amanda said...

I love reading Anne's interviews, she's just so lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda x

PS. Love this series!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Great interview! I heart Anne and Even Cleveland! xoxox

christina said...

Just like everyone else, I heart Anne too. She's really the nicest person around. And her taste is impeccable. So much fun getting to know her better!

Anonymous said...

Anne is totally awesome! I'm loving the Chanel love.

jora said...

Love Anne. Love, love, love.

vicki archer said...

I loved learning more about the gorgeous Anne, xv.

evencleveland said...

I love Anne! Great post!

I wish I had the foresight to spend my wedding money on Bertoia chairs!

nelya said...

First, Anne, no one is supposed to look THAT adorable in a skull cap, but of course you do. Second, what an ingenious use of your wedding cash, original Bertoia chairs, soooo jealous. And third, I am the one who is blushing at the mention of head over heels. I'm honored to be held in your esteem, thanks. And thank you Lynne for another awesome series!

Tina said...

I like that Anne only uses cash, not credit on her purchases. Something I really need to take on myself. Great post!

hmstrjam said...

yay get that art up!

c said...

but really, she is in fact one of the nicest bloggers, isn't she?!!

great idea for this series, to ever so subtly peer into their lives....

will be back for more!! x c

Anonymous said...

What a lovely interview! Anne always looks so stylish and chic -- and those vintage chairs are such a fantastic score!

Lynne, this is such a fun series!