Thursday 13 November 2008

Mama's Food Shop in the East Village

So there I was, in New York, idling along in the East Village, when I glanced through a window of a tiny restaurant, and saw this. All of the eyes on this gallery wall were enticing me to come inside and explore a little more.




I love this scene. The green ceiling tins, the eclectic collection of mamas...(I think all the photos are of women), slightly worn furniture and the welcoming atmosphere.

Unfortunately I had just stuffed my face with a piece of delicious baked cheesecake from Chez Betty, so it wasn't mealtime. But I mentally made a note to go back and try it out another time, just so I could sit inside and absorb the interior, without really considering the price or menu. As it turns out, it serves Southern soul food at reasonable prices, and it has great reviews.

Mama's Food Shop
200 E. 3rd St., New York, NY 10009 at Ave. B

Photos by Shanna Ravindra, via New York Magazine.

6 comments:

editor said...

Southern Soul food..yum..that is what it's all about. Love the East Village too! Great vibe.

dekko said...

Quite a place.If i ever go NY i will go for sure. Nice blog also. Oh! thanks for stopping by mine.

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember walking past here so many times and wondering about it! It's right by one of my favourite antique print shops and is therefore the witness to one too many shopping sprees ;) I never went in though---and now I wish i had! The green walls are just divine...

Cindy said...

i've never been there and i live in nyc. thanks for the tip. and, thanks for visiting us - the books in my photo are from england as is the tea cup.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

looks so amazing! i'm definitely making a stop there next time i'm in ny!

No.35style said...

Oh I'll have to remember this place next time I'm in NYC!