Friday 7 November 2008

Guest Blogger Jackie of Sweetie Pie Pumpkin Noodle


Hello lovely Tea For Joy readers! My name is Jackie, and I blog over at Sweetie Pie Pumpkin Noodle. A little bit about me: I am a stay at home mom with two little girls, Natalie who is almost three and Kara who is five months. We live in sunny California in the U.S. (it really is sunny-it's November and I am still in short sleeves!). I enjoy blogging about Interior Design, entertaining, shopping, crafts, etc. Basically girly stuff!

Lynne has kindly asked me to Guest Blog for her about my daughter Kara's nursery. When I found out I was having another little girl I definitely knew that I did not want to use any more pink! I suffered from serious pink overload after my first daughter and needed a reprieve.

The inspiration for the room began with this Thomas Paul pillow:

I just loved the color and graphic design. It is not a pillow designed specifically for a nursery, which worked with my goal of making a room that was sophisticated and timeless.

The next aspect I needed to keep in mind, was that I would be using the same crib as I used with Natalie. It is a dark wood, so I wanted to buy accessories that would match and not clash with it. I finally decided on a bumper and matching pillow from Pottery Barn that had a dark brown trim that went nicely with the crib. I bought a white fitted crib sheet and white crib skirt to match.


The rest kind of came together in bits and pieces. I found a wonderful fabric from Alexander Henry called Marni Garden, for a great price from a quilting store that was going out of business. I bought two yards because I liked it so much, even though I had no idea what I was going to use it for. One day when I was pondering how to incorporate a bit more color into the nursery I remembered the fabric I had purchased.

Now I am not an expert sewer, but I do enjoy it, so I decided to do a few simple projects using the fabric and my basic sewing skills. I found a rather easy tutorial to make a baby blanket here. Then I decided to add a simple trim to some pre-made white curtains.

Finally, to tie the room together I used the fabric for some fun no-sew accents:


For this custom piece, I used spray-adhesive to attach the fabric over a plain photo matte. I printed up the quote on my computer, spray painted the frame silver and called it a day!


I created another wall decoration by using embroidery hoops to frame swatches of the fabric. You can get the directions here.

If you would like more details of how Kara's nursery came together, along with links to all products, check out this post over on my blog. I hope you have enjoyed my little nursery tour and have found some ideas that might be useful to you!

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

The use of embroidery hoops with that fabulous fabric in them is genius! That is such a great idea. What and inexpensive way to add some great art to the walls! Love it!

miss milki said...

Thats a very cute nursery.

Thanks so much for your kind comments on my photo lynne - I've no problems with you using the photo on your blog - just link back! Thanks again!

Desiree said...

That fabric is really lovely!

paula said...

this nursery is so sweet.

Simone said...

What a lovely nursery! I still have not managed to finish my little ones...

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I love all the fabric selections especially the purple pillow and that artwork above the crib is fabulous!