Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Papered Parlour + a blogging workshop

Last weekend I took a photography workshop at The Papered Parlour, in Clapham, South London. I love their little tea parlour, especially the counter made from old doors and reclaimed wood.


I learned so much! Who knew that using an SLR camera is actually quite straightforward? The tutors Louise and Sam were so helpful, there were lots of practical exercises (including trips out to the Common) and afternoon tea and cake too. I never thought I would be one of those geeks who buys digital photography magazines - but now I totally am!

These are not my photographs, in case you were wondering. When I said it was easy to use an SLR, I meant that there aren't that many concepts to grasp...

The Papered Parlour has one of my favourite website designs ever, and runs workshops such as dressmaking and silversmithing, as well as hosting hen parties with a craft activity and tea-based cocktails!

On another course note, due to illness I recently rescheduled a blogging for beginners workshop to this Saturday (5th). There is one space left. The course is aimed at those whose blog is quite new, or even those who don't have one yet. The cost is £45 - feel free to email me if you have any questions. It will be held in SW17.

24 comments:

Jessica Hoareau said...

That looks amazing! I love discovering new places in south london
http://justpressedprint.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photography... you are a natural! The pampered parlour looks like a wonderful place too...

kristi @ lovelyvelo said...

gorgeous shots! and what a cool space...

Caroline, No. said...

Ooh, that looks lovely. I really need a course in how to use my camera, too!

danielle said...

What a neat place, and I think your lighting is wonderful in those shots!

Lynne said...

Thanks everyone - but these aren't my photographs (I should have made that clear)! I have improved - but not that quickly!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I should start going to Clapham more often!! What a lovely place, Ill check out what other courses they have
Thanks Lynne!

Amanda said...

Oh wow, what a cute little tea spot! I love the counter made from the old doors and the teacups hanging above the counter are such a lovely touch.

Green Girl said...

the papered parlour sounds a very cool place to be, im off to check it out! thanks for sharing:)

leonie.wise said...

lovely photos! i've just done a photography workshop and i'm wishing i knew about this one sooner - it sounds amazing.

Natalie said...

Oooh. Just seen they do a screen printing workshop sometimes. Very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Well, I need a camera! I'm as interested in photography as anybody!

Anonymous said...

Love that counter!! And I've been trying to persuade the OH to do a similar thing with our teacups – so I now have a reference to go look, I mean this! :D

And me too on the needing a photography course. I recently got a slr but my attempts are pretty poor so far!!

La Vitrine des Pouppés said...

Amazing =)

Quindome said...

This makes me feel less intimidated to take a course too! What a lovely spot for learning!

Huma said...

what a gorgeous little place, and your photos look fabulous. I am in *desperate* need of some sort of guidance as to how to take pics. Am a little anxious of just not getting it right even with a course. Give me a thesaurus any day... but I can't avoid the photography for ever so I've got a friend teaching me from next week.

Much better than snapping on the iPhone!
x

Anonymous said...

I got my first DSLR last September and I'm still getting to grips with it. Practice is definitely the key! I'd absolutely love to get on a course but there aren't too many in Scotland that appeal.

Great pics though, looks like an awesome cafe.

Lindsey (Urban Mums) said...

Those are gorgeous pics! What a lovely lovely tea parlour. Must visit.

p.s. just came across your blog - it's gorgeous! glad to have found it. :)

Masha said...

Oh, that's so cool...I wish there was a place like that here in Sofia. Who knows, maybe one day...

the crafty currant said...

So glad you photography course worked out ... I hope to see lots of lovely photos on her soon x

Cassandra said...

I'm glad you loved The Papered Parlour. I work from there and teach the quilting class. It's a lovely space and a fantastic area to poodle about in - lots of lovely cafes and bars and of course the Common!

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

This place is adorable!

Zoë Yule said...

Lynne, what a fabulously inspirational place for a photography workshop! What digitial photo mags did they recommend? I've found a few, but it would be nice to know the good from the not-so!

Anne said...

oooooh i just might have to give this place a try! i recently bought my first slr, and i could use a workshop on making the most of it.