Tuesday 27 October 2009

Eleanor Pritchard

Last week I shared with you the beautiful work of Catherine Aitken. The other stall at Origin which almost had me parting with my cash was Eleanor Pritchard. My heart sank a little when I saw these, because I had just bought a throw a few weeks before, and I liked these so much more, although I've since realised that my new (patterned) rug would not co-operate with these designs (you will see when I post pictures next week.)

Still, these are fantastic, right? I would go as far as to say they are the nicest blankets I have ever seen. They weren't inexpensive - the blankets ranged from £124 to £286 and the cushions were £70 to £130. But honestly, I think this is a fair price to pay as the quality was incredible. They are 100% wool and are woven in a small traditional mill in Wales. I have never in my life even wanted a floor cushion - until now.

Again, you need to email Eleanor if you want to make a purchase, or if you are near London, you can see her work at the Midcentury Modern Fair on 15th November 2009 (well worth the visit) and also at the Cockpit Arts Open Studios in Deptford on 4th - 6th December 2009.

So, I know all you blog readers are well versed in Etsy, Folksy and Big Cartel, but have you ever contacted a designer directly to make a purchase if they didn't have an online shop? I said this last week too, but it is so quick and easy to set one up (or at least an interim solution) that I'm not sure why every designer does not have one, unless they have enough wholesale orders to make a living - especially as it's pretty much impossible to get any press if your work isn't available for sale easily. I'm not a designer, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I think that if you are a designer who exhibits at craft fairs, then it can't hurt to offer your work online too?

9 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

Adore! those blankets throws are beautiful and they look warm and cosy!!
need on of those, they match my interior perfectly!!!
xx
callie

KELLY said...

those throws are gorgeous...i particularly love the one with a slice of tangerine in the colour palette.

Unknown said...

I thought exactly the same thing! I spent a while looking at her throws and blankets when I went to Origins but I'd bought a throw the week before! I'm going to the Midcentury Modern Fair on the 15th...maybe my bedroom needs a throw too...hhmmm

Rebecca said...

I dearly love eleanor Pritchards work, having found her in y second year at college. (melin tregwynt is another great company that makes these sorts of things) I have contacted people through their websites , I can't remember when, but you should totally do it. Pritchard has also done large scale commissions, I think the one I knew about was for the national trust, so maybe she doesn't need to sell online? It would still be good if she did though :)

Lynne said...

Rebecca, yes I've seen her large scale commissions - I only mean that if you're me and you aren't able to splash out then and there, then it's good to have an online option - and honestly almost all the stalls did not have an online shop. I will check out your other recommendation!

Rebecca said...

Oh yes, I know :) irritating isnt it!

Alex said...

Oh they just make me want to curl up and sleep in them!

Slices of Beauty... said...

Love the throws, especially the last one!

Down Comforter said...

Really great-looking textiles :) I'm especially fond of the second blanket.