Tuesday 21 April 2009

Beautifully British: Alison Hardcastle


Well, this was a Tea for Joy coup, if I do say so myself. I've managed to sneak in an interview with Alison Hardcastle, even though she's about to pop any day! Her first baby was due last Saturday, but hasn't appeared yet, so I swooped in, just in time for another Beautifully British interview.

Alison's work is a new discovery for me, but already I'm a huge fan - look at these fabulous notebooks. My favourite is the off-cuts (it is what it says on the cover - made with lots of leftover bits of paper) but I also love the bright ideas notebook (with stickers for those extra-special ideas.) They are all available to buy online at her shop.

Thanks Alison, for taking part.


Brief bio: I studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of Art followed by an MA in Sequential Design & Illustration at The University of Brighton. I've since become a freelance book artist, designer and printmaker focusing on making hand-made and hand-printed books, stationery and cards. In addition to this I've spent the last 6 years doing various artists' book workshops and part-time tutoring at Edinburgh College of Art.

My work: I use a lot of hand-drawn lettering, patterns and carefully chosen colours. My work is therefore probably characterized by bold colourful patterns often with a little bit of humour thrown in for good measure.

What inspires me: Inspirations for my work probably fall into 2 categories. My books tend to stem from a love of lists, collections and documenting. My designs for notebooks and cards tend to come from patterns which I find in everyday things. I'm also slightly obsessed with phrases and idioms and these pop up in all aspects of my work.

A perfect day: It definitely includes afternoon tea, sunshine and a bit of peace & quiet. I'm easily pleased.

10 comments:

Anna Ander said...

I really like the grassy notebook! Enjoying my first week as a person-who-has-a-garden, I'm very much into the greens. Thanks for showing her work, and for the inspiration.

Arun Rahul said...

OFF CUTS & BRILLIANT IDEAS r awesome
Congrats for her mother hood

Laura Trevey said...

so fresh and original! I love these :)

inkWELL Press said...

Those notebooks are fabulous - I'm always on the lookout for a new one. Hers are wonderful. Great interview!

Local Girl said...

Love these, I didn't know about them. Thanks for the find :)

Anonymous said...

I like the Bright Ideas book:)

our little love nest said...

So fun and fresh with a wonderful interview! lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful design aesthetic!

Grace Albaugh said...

What fun! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Alison said...

Thanks everyone for all the lovely comments. And thanks Lynne for featuring me on Tea For Joy.