Friday 13 February 2009

Five Friday Faves



Something very strange happened to me today. Without explanation, I went on a mission to find heart-shaped cookie cutters, red ribbon, and made these biscuits, which I am hoping to distribute to friends tomorrow. That is if I manage to avoid eating them all myself (three down so far) and feel confident in confronting the English reserve (I'm still trying to figure out who would appreciate them). As a person who does not bake, does not like hearts, does not have a Valentine, and would still hate Valentine's Day even if I did, I am thrilled with my heart-shaped and very tasty achievement.

You must look at this fabulous wedding - the shoes, the dress, the vintage brooch used to pin the flowers - delightful! I do wonder if it is a good use of my time to click through to look at a stranger's whole wedding album on Flickr, but I couldn't resist.

These vintage seed packets are a great idea for cheap artwork.

I love looking at other people's inspiration boards, scribbles and collected scraps of paper - as someone who is always ripping articles out of newspapers (which then languish at the bottom of my handbag, never to surface intact) I love Tina's New York notebooks.

I have just discovered this gorgeous French blog - why is it that the French are inherently more stylish?

What are you doing this weekend? I am going to an interactive scratch 'n' sniff play tomorrow, and on Sunday have a friend coming round to try this heart-flecked hot chocolate. I am hoping I will be over all this sentimentality and back to my usual cynical self by Monday. Speaking of sentimentality, Tara at Aquamarine awarded me a little blog award. Thanks! Have a great weekend everyone.

Top photo via Esprit Chametre, biscuits via Heart of Light (I can't find my camera to take photos of mine - maybe tomorrow.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya.i agree the french are really good in creative&styling things.
and the cookie thing:i did some muffins for tomorrow and i just couldn't resist and i eat two.
delicous.and don't worry.one day you'll also have a valentine:)

DesignTies said...

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment on my Livingetc post.

You asked about good Canadian magazines.... depends on what you like, but the two most popular ones are Style At Home and House & Home. But be warned -- both often features homes that are way out of the average person's price range. Like 12,000 sq ft summer homes.

There's a new mag called Canadian Home Trends. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

For me, Livingetc is a breath of fresh air. I get to see homes and decor items and other things that are so different from what we have over here. I've been reading it since 2005, and I'm not bored yet :-)

Enjoy your cookies and hot chocolate :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said...

thanks for the blog visit. i know, right? corrie bond's work is pretty great.

Rachel said...

Yay! I'm so glad you made them. Trust me, if you've only eaten three of them, you're doing better than I have.

Unknown said...

Scoffing biscuits is the best Valentines Day pastime I've ever heard of ... much more satisfying than sentimentality!

designloverlondon said...

I hope that there are some left over by tomorrow ;-)

English Muse said...

I love the twinkle lights in the top photo...and go you on the fantastic french bog find! will add to my blogroll. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Well done you for baking! They look adorable!

The wedding is fabulous. I love vintage inspired anything!

ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said...

hi! just wanted to mention that I’m posting the ‘ugliest fashion finds’ on absolutely not martha next week and I‘d LOVE to feature your find. email it to jackie at vanillaspoons dot com. credit and link to your blog, of course!

Unknown said...

I love the picture of the fairy lights in a jar. Great idea - I wonder how they got the cord in there?

Ash said...

those cookies are too cute!
Just found you're lovely little blog!

designloverlondon said...

And I got to taste them, and they were AMAZING! Well done Lynne!