Wednesday 7 January 2009

Wednesday workspace: Christine's sewing room

Wednesday's workspace this week is from my cousin Christine's house, in Belfast, N. Ireland. She is from the creative side of the family (she's a fashion designer) and has a great knack for salvaging and renovating pieces of furniture.

This sewing machine was found in a shed at my grandparents' farm - Christine actually uses this to sew at (you can see the sewing machine on the right hand side, stored away when not in use.) I love the antique lace panel - and the lace gloves artfully draped over the legs of the table.


She found this chest of drawers at a charity shop, had them stripped and changed the handles. This table stores all her sewing supplies; buttons, patterns etc. The crate on the left also came from our grandparents' farm - they owned an apple orchard.

My aunt crocheted the flowers, and Christine added the stem and the buttons to the middle. The base of the vase is filled with old corks which she has collected.

On the basket is displayed my aunt's old Lassie-esque notebook from several decades ago.

As a slight diversion from the Wednesday workspace theme, and from January 2009, unless some of you are planning a long way in advance for next Christmas - Christine's Christmas decorations were probably my favourite of 2008. My aunt crocheted the stars, and Christine starched them and hung them on her tree. I'm sure she would take commissions if you are interested in stocking up on them for next year. She also baked the gingerbread hearts, and sprayed pine cones gold. It was a very simple, but effective, Christmas tree.

8 comments:

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

I love that lace curtain!

Rachel said...

I love how homey this feels - it's a perfect little personal space.

Joyce said...

I love the sewing machine. My sister has our moms. She has a perfect place to be creative. After reading your post make me want to visit family in Ireland again. Thanks...

Char said...

I can remember my grandmother's trestle machine - I used to love to sit and just work the trestle. A beautiful space.

karlene said...

I especially love the flowers, thank you for sharing this post.

Anonymous said...

How cool! Love that sewing maching and the unique crocheted flowers. They'll never wilt!

inkWELL Press said...

This is such a beautiful space that feels so personal. I love how she's taken family "artifacts" and made them her own. Beautiful.

corine said...

My oh my your blog is yummy!!!