Monday, 8 February 2010

Around my house: my plate wall

I've finally hung a collection of plates on my kitchen wall. They are a little high, but I don't have the will to move them and I may add another row at the bottom. I have quite a stash of leftover plates (I bought most of them from car boot sales, but in quite a few cases I couldn't buy a single plate, I had to buy the whole set.)


My favourite plate - a gift from my Vancouver friend Jenny (plate from Portobello market.)

I've posted about my kitchen before, but for those of you who are interested, the paint is Portland Stone by Little Greene Paint company - it is much more green than it looks here. The tiles were from Surface and also look more green in a better light - the brushed steel mosaic tiles are from here and were one of few bargains (I'm generally always attracted to the most expensive options in life.)

The sheepskin rug is a little out of place in a kitchen, but I have underfloor heating and it's a cosy spot to plonk babies (and some adults) when they come to visit.

Want to know how to hang a plate wall? I used the same plate stickers and method as Caroline describes here (I also saw them on Kirsty's Homemade Home). I only left mine to dry for about fifteen minutes as I'm very impatient, and it worked fine. They are available at John Lewis and at All Plate Hangers in the US and are much easier and less damaging than wire hangers.

Projects not yet completed: painting the inside of the fireplace, and turning a plate into a clock. Estimated date of completion? Probably 2012.

26 comments:

Carrie said...

Lovely! I have quite some plates laying around also and I hope I'll be able to find a place for them soon...

Lisa-Marie said...

I've been collecting plates for a year to do a big swoosh of then on one wall. One day...

Those John Lewis hangers are really good!

I think the rug adds a nice soft touch to the greys. Also, my favourite of your plates is the one that looks like a doily!

Lynne said...

Lisa-Marie, The doily one is a milk glass plate - it's pretty easy to come by them on Ebay (that's where I got mine.)

Christina said...

I am slowly adding to my plate wall too, but I have never seen plate hangers like that before. I think I need to see if they are available in Australia! :)

La chica said...

Love your collection,

Karumen said...

lovely! i like how you showcase them on the wall directly as oppose to be in a cabinet :)
especially luv the blue bird one!

Searched And Found said...

I can't wait until I move into an apartment (out of this dorm) and am finally able to decorate how I want to!

Simone said...

I am so inspired..lovely!

Sarah said...

I have a small section of wall above my front door, crying out for some trim - I've been thinking for a while about hanging plates there, thanks for the inspiration.

cutlex said...

Oh I hope I find those here in the Philippines!

You Are My Fave said...

Nicely done. I love your wee little fireplace. So charming.

Anna Ander said...

I knew this would happen! I was holding a beautiful plate yesterday, but put it back on the shelf with a "how many mismatched plates and teacups can a person have?" Not too many, I realize now. Thanks for the inspiration.

nath said...

pretty. it's missing something of course, one of mine, ha ha! i should send you one.

chelsea said...

love it! so fun to see a peek into your home!

TERI REES WANG said...

"Plates on the wall"...seem to be the blogging theme of the day.

Well done.

Vanya-Endless Inspiration said...

I love the lacy place - divine. I am a big fan of plates of the wall, all good :)

Kate said...

These are so lovely - thanks for sharing! You've inspired me to look at my plates in a totally different way :)

essie said...

thank for the info about hanging plates - i have a bunch that i want to display but have not been sure how to get them securely onto the wall.

ALL ABOUT CHOCOLATE CREATIVE... said...

Hello
I am Marga form Chocolate Creative, how are you doing?? Love the plates on the wall I am copying the idea!! I was wondering if you could advice me on the following, I am trying to make my blog width bigger and therefore the photos size as well, but going mad!!! I have noticed that you have changed your blog template to a wider one, I like it very much!! How did you do it?? Any advice on this would be great!! I have red a lot on internet and still can’t managed to change it!! How is papermash doing?
Regards from Peckham
Marga

my spatula said...

the plates are lovely, all of them. BUT...i'm even more interested in that dainty fireplace (in your kitchen, no less)! ahh...one of my dreams to someday have a fireplace in my kitchen.

Down and Out Chic said...

i love your plate wall! i have a slight obsession with them :)

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

So lovely! Sadly I never seem to do this correctly so it never looks so lovely on my walls!

Ellie said...

Lovely plates! Do you know what's really weird? I have a teacup and saucer with the same blue bird design on it!! It's from Copenhagen, vintage, and I have never seen any other matching piece ever!! I'm about to email you a pic Lynne. I think we're psychic. x

Delephine's delight said...

As far as which of those plates are truly beautiful, well here it goes: ALL! How can you cay one is special over the other.

Thanks so much for your inspirational and lovely blogspot.

Keep up the good work ladies. Mint is really in it!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, really.